Wednesday, August 15, 2012

gia mi piace tutto


Last night I slept for 12 hours. Woo baby! I was so thankful I didn't feel jet lagged at all yesterday (but then again, I am somewhat famous for falling asleep just about anywhere, so I definitely clocked in several hours during 2 of the 3 flights).

Read my Bible and had coffee out on the terrace this morning, the perfect way to start my day. So breathtaking. Jess and I then went on a little hike up one of the really steep hills in the surrounding area, which offered a different view of the area. Funny how open and seemingly empty it is, only spotted with trees and small homes until you catch sight of the city of Catania closer to the coast. Apparently it looks a lot like the Shire in the Fall and Spring when they actually get rain, complete with shepherds and sheep galavanting in the rolling hills. Right now though it looks so biblical to me: a parched landscape peppered with olive groves and stacked, stone edifices. I didn't bring my camera along on this excursion, unfortunately, but I'll have to go back sometime during my stay to capture some of these images.

Anyways, today is a huge celebration (of many) in August for Italians: Ferragosto, to commemorate the ascension of the Madonna. This also means that nothing is open in town, so Jess and I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and laying out on the porch that belongs to the sweet older couple who lives above them. Rough life. We're prepping dinner now...chicken lettuce wraps. Guess I should be helpful;)


1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog from Melissa's room from the school ipads. So jealous. Hope you got my text picture of Nate's face. It won't be the same without you here.

    ReplyDelete